So you wanted a bit more info on Pengelicious 2017....
The second installment of Penge’s very own local food fair will be held in Penge Recreation Ground, opposite St John’s Church, from 12-6pm, on Sunday 2nd July, as a final stop on the same day's Penge Jumble route.
Discounted Early Bird tickets can be bought here
Why buy Early Bird tickets?
• 20% discount when you buy in advance. £3.75 per person rather than £4.50 cash on the day.
• Shows your support for this local food event for the local community
• Helps participants plan for the event and avoid food waste
What does a ticket buy me?
• Early Bird tickets entitle the holder to a Taster Bundle from any participating stallholder, typically a main dish, potentially with one or more sides
• All Taster Bundles are priced the same to make it easier for visitors to choose and fairer for stallholders to budget
• Comparable prices for typical street food stalls in and around London would be more like £6-7. We are trying to make Pengelicious much more affordable and inclusive. On our High Street £4.40 could buy you, for example, a McDonalds Tasty Burger or a KFC meal deal of 2 chicken pieces, regular fries and a fizzy drink. We hope you will agree our home cooking Taster Bundles are yummier, healthier and better for our local community too!
• Taster Bundles can be bought for £4.50 in cash on the day, directly from the stallholder.
Can I earn free tickets for my family and friends?
• Yes. We will also be offering bundles of free tickets to volunteers who get involved in some way, for example promoting the event over the next 6 weeks, or helping with the event on the day
• Get in touch with saying what kind of things you’d like to help with, and we can agree a Volunteers Ticket trade.
• We’d particularly like to hear from14-20 year olds interested in food, who may want to help out on the day, on stalls or with set up and break down. (We need to leave the park as we found it.)
What will stallholders be selling?
• We are in the process of finalising our brigade of stallholders but can already say that we anticipate there being several local caterers as well as home cooks selling a wide range of cuisines and dishes
• The idea is to promote real home cooking – in a variety of styles – from across all our diverse domestic kitchens, and to have fun doing so
• By committing to advance tickets now, you are making it easier for stallholders to commit to get involved, by seeing the broad local support for the event that the early bird ticket sales indicate
• Vegetarian and non-vegetarian options will be available
• Taster Bundles will be one-size-fits-all
• Some stallholders may also sell lower priced, smaller items on the side of their primary dish
How can I share my own home cooking at Pengelicious?
• Option 1 is to become a stallholder. For this you will need to comply with relevant regulations, such as registering your food premises, being able to provide food safety certification and obtaining relevant insurance. All of that is a lot easier and lower cost than it sounds. Stallholders will be charged a reduced rent this year, so you should be more than able to cover costs and even make a decent profit. Sign up here if you'd like to register your interest to take a slot as a stallholder.
• Option 2 is to enter a competition. Just like the first Pengelicious in August 2016, we will be re-running our two classic Penge CanTeen competitions: The Great Penge Bake Off for cakes and baked goods, and Pimp My Plate, for savoury dishes of any kind. Visitors can taste and vote for all entries and a panel of Penge food business owners will provide their final judgements. To enter a competition, you don’t need to jump through the same regulatory requirements as if you were selling your food as a stallholder, but you do need to observe basic food safety common sense, such as no raw egg, shellfish or other high risk ingredients, and ensuring all ingredients are listed with any allergens prominently highlighted. Sign up here to enter a competition.
Looking forward to seeing you and all your friends this side of Watford at Pengelicious on the day!